All types of jewelry must be treated well. Here is a guide on how to do it.
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before putting on your jewelry.
- Let your lotion or cream dry before putting on your jewelry.
- Remove your jewelry before doing any physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise
- Remove your jewelry before swimming, showering, hot tub or sauna.
- Stay away from jewelry cleaners and soaps which may have certain components that will make your jewelry tarnish more quickly.
- Avoid impact with hard surfaces, including other items of jewelry. This will protect against scratching and chipping. Keep each jewelry product separate from other types of jewelry you have.
All metals oxidise naturally with time, you can avoid that as much as you can by following these six steps.